Wednesday, September 10, 2014

E-mail to Elder Rush's Mission President



Here is an e-mail I sent to Mitchell's Mission President and his wife, President and Sister Brinkerhoff.  I loved their response to my e-mail. I'm so excited for Mitchell to serve under the direction of such kind, loving people.


Dearest President and Sister Brinkerhoff,


I want to thank you for your service and care for the missionaries in the Idaho, Pocatello Mission. Our son Elder Mitchell Rush has been called to serve the people of Idaho under your direction, and we are so grateful. We are anxious to hear of his adventures the next 2 years.

When Mitchell opened his call and read Pocatello, Idaho we were in shock. Not that we didn't think that was the right mission for him, but that is where  I was born. My mother was born in Pocatello and my father moved there when he was 3. My parents met at ISU and were married in the Idaho Falls Temple. My father taught  school at Highland High and was a well know home builder. They served many callings, including Stake Pres. When I was 13 my father was called to serve as Regional Representative in South America.  After 3 years in Ecuador and Peru they were called as Mission Presidents to serve in San Diego, Calif. , where I stayed, married my husband and raised our family. I cherish the experiences I had growing up in the mission field. My life has been touched with amazing spiritual experiences.

I am thrilled that our son will be able to go back and serve the people of Idaho. He feels so strongly that he is serving where The Lord wants and needs him to be.

Growing up in the mission field I personally witnessed the affects a mission had on Elders and Sisters. It makes such a difference in their lives, as it does with those they teach. Knowing that and knowing the growth that would take place with our son and our family, it was still the hardest thing I have ever done. Mitchell has been such a light to everyone his whole life, but especially to our family. He has always been there with a positive attitude, willing to do anything and everything for anyone in need. I recently finished treatment for my second battle with breast cancer, and he was my strength. He would take me to my appointments, sit with me during chemo, always check to see if I needed anything. He has been an amazing big brother to his sister who has been struggling with Bipolar Disorder and loved, taught and played with his 3 nephews and niece. I wasn't  quite sure if I had the strength to let him go, pretty selfish on my part. Mitchell is our super hero. There is a quote by J. Michael Straczynski that says, "The whole point of Superman, as originally created, was to be the ally of those who had no other allies. It put that magnitude of power, the most powerful guy in the world, in the service of those who had no hope, no chance." To me, this quote sums up our Mitchell. I have been comforted knowing he is where he wants and needs to be. That he can be a super hero to all the people he will come in contact with in the Idaho, Pocatello Mission. Thank you for watching over our Elder Rush, and all the missionaries in the most beautiful Idaho Mission.

With much love and gratitude,
Laura Middleton Rush







Dear Sister Rush,

Thank you so much for your very informative email.  How wonderful to know you were born here and that your parents have such a rich heritage in the Pocatello area.  Our mission home is in the Highland Stake.  Our prayers are with you and your battle with cancer.  We know that the Lord blesses families as their sons or daughters choose to serve him.  We will be praying that will be the case with you and your family as Elder Rush serves here.

We are excited to welcome him to Eastern Idaho.  Not only is the Idaho Pocatello Mission the right mission for him, it is one of the very best in the Church.  The spirit among the missionaries is high. They have tremendous member support.  Teaching and baptizing has been consistently high and is rising.  We just finished zone conferences and we couldn't be more pleased with the desire to fulfill their missionary purpose our elders and sisters have now.

May Heavenly Father's richest blessings be with you and your family as you send Elder Rush to serve the people of the Idaho Pocatello Mission.  

You have our love and best wishes,
President and Sister Brinkerhoff






No comments:

Post a Comment