Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Elder Rush's First Letter From the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo Utah



Good Afternoon Family!                                                                                                
Hope you guys are doing well and I miss you guys a lot.

Well I do not know where to start other than how amazing the MTC is. When I walked through the campus for the first time I felt like an individual and wanted to be the best missionary. But after just two days, I feel like I am just hanging out with my family. I have come to love my fellow elders and sisters because when I look at them I see members of God's army. I feel unstoppable with them by my side. I know with all my heart I was sent here at this time for a reason.

Well my district consists of 10 elders and 5 sisters all heading to the Idaho Pocatello Mission. We actually leave the MTC on September 9. Last night I was called to serve as our district leader and oversee the people going to my mission for now. It is so crazy here. Yesterday was probably the longest day of my life. It seemed like multiple days had blended into one. My companion is Elder Dalling, he is from a city just outside of Detroit. He is a cool elder. It is pretty crazy how perfect these companionships were assigned, everyone gets along and helps the others become better. We have definitely become a family and serving with these Elders in the future will be a privilege. The most amazing thing about these past two days is how much I have already learned.  I feel the spirit every second of every day. The teahers are awesome. This place is awesome. Life is very challenging and tiring but like that saying goes "I never said it would be easy just that it would be worth it." I have learned that my mission started the minute I got out of the car. There are Elders here that say they don't belong or are scared. I know I am not here to teach them the gospel but to help them feel the gospel. Just being examples to those that need it is enough. Grandpa's poem I shared at my farewell really sums up my purpose and all of our purposes. Remember people are always watching. There is so much to say but so little time. I love it here and I love what I am going to be doing these next two years. Only 727 more days to go. I love you guys. Take care until next week and keep being awesome.
Pray Always,
Elder Rush 

P.S. I fit on my bed.





The "Grandpa's poem" Mitchell refers to is by  

Helen L. Marshall


 You Never Know




You never know when someone

May catch a dream from you.
You never know when a little word,
Or something you may do
May open up a window
Of the mind that seeks the light
The way you live may not matter at all...
But you never know - it might.



And just in case it could be

That another's life through you.
Might possibly change for the better
With a broader brighter view.
It seems it might be worth a try
At pointing the way to the right
Of course, it may not matter at all,
But then again it might.




I love this poem.  Like Mitchell said, "people are always watching."  I am so proud of my Elder Rush, and the light that he is sharing with the people he will come in contact with these next 2 years.  Long years for me!

I'm excited for his next letter, coming this week.  Stay tuned!


    
Our last photo together; Goodbye for 2 long years!

                 
             Last grandma and grandpa hug for awhile.

4 comments: